VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
Post-Graduate Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (PC NP) Residency Program
The intended audience of this web page includes Veterans, Family and Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners, and Primary Care NP residency applicants.
Welcome to the Salt Lake City Veteran Affairs Medical Center Post-Graduate Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Residency homepage.
Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Medical Center has developed an innovative and unique Post-Graduate Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Residency Program.
VA Mission Statement: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s veterans. The Medical Center aspires to this goal by providing exceptional health care improving the wellbeing of our Veterans.
VA Core Values: Our core values describe the culture of care that we want to provide to our Veterans. Our core values are contained in the mnemonic I-CARE. This stands for Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence.
Program Mission: To enhance the competencies of primary care nurse practitioners, providing a well- qualified workforce to increase access to excellent primary care services for the veterans across the adult life span and throughout the country. Increasing the availability of these providers will expand the Department of Veterans Affairs’ ability to provide primary care and will improve the overall quality of services provided for all veterans.
Program Goals: To provide an intensive clinical experience supplemented by professional development activities to result in skillfully prepared primary care nurse practitioners available to function independently in providing primary care services for the veteran population.
- Successfully transition the PC NP resident from advanced beginner to competent nurse practitioner
- Recruit well-qualified new graduate (within 1 yr) adult gerontology primary care or family practice nurse practitioner residents with the intention of retaining them for employment following completion of their residency program
- Enhance inter-professional collaboration and educational opportunities for PC NP residents
- Enhance the partnerships between VA SLCHCS and our academic partners.
- Improve the quality of primary care services for Veterans
- Strengthen the commitment to nursing as a professional career choice
- Facilitate dedication to life-long learning and use of evidence-based advanced practice nursing
- Application Process
- PC NP Residency Information
Please note, if you are currently a VA employee, please contact Stacey Shaffer, Residency Program Director PRIOR TO COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION. As status change from employee to trainee will be required to participate in this residency program.
For additional information contact Stacey Shaffer, MSN, APRN, AGPCNP-BC. Stacey.firstname.lastname@example.org