VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
PC NP Residency Program Application
Thank you for your interest in the Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (PC NP) Residency Program at the VA Salt Lake City Health Care System. This residency is designed for new nurse practitioners (graduated within a year of residency beginning) with a commitment to serve the Veteran population. The program prepares new NPs to become confident and competent primary care providers by providing didactic seminars, grand rounds, supervised and independent clinical practice, specialty rotations, leadership training, inter-professional simulations and Tele-mental health training during the 12-month period. Upon completion of this residency program, graduates will receive a Residency Completion Certificate.
Our program will support a total of 2 residents for the 2020-2021 cohort.
I. PC NP Residency Eligibility:
- US Citizenship
b. Graduate of Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited nurse practitioner program (FNP or AGPCNP)
c. Recent graduate within the past 12 months
d. Hold a Master and/or Doctorate degree with a specialty in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
e. Proficiency in written and spoken English
f. Completion of each of the following: drug screen, background investigation, lab and physical exam, tuberculosis skin testing, flu shot, Hep B titer
II. Application Requirements:
- Completed PC NP Residency Application
b. A Letter of Interest (no more than two double-spaced pages to include but not limited to the following):
- Three most important professional goals
- Discussion of experience with a variety of patient populations--veterans, vulnerable, underserved, or elderly populations
- How career goals align with the PC NP role and with furthering the NP profession
c. Curriculum Vitae/Resume to include each of the following in this order:
- Work Experience
- Research & Publications (if applicable)
- Leadership Service
- Life Experiences
- Professional Memberships
d. “Unofficial” nursing school transcripts (Official transcripts are required upon graduation)
e. A copy of recent BLS and/or ACLS
f. A copy of APRN License (not required with application but required prior to beginning residency)
g. A copy of DEA License (not required with application but required prior to beginning residency)
h. A copy of FNP or AGPC NP Board-Certification (not required with application but required prior to beginning residency)
i. Three (3) letters of recommendation*
- One (1) letter from an academic instructor
- One (1) letter from a preceptor (a different person from the above-mentioned academic instructor)
- One (1) letter from an employer or co-worker
* Content in each letter should include the nature of the work relationship with the candidate, the candidate’s work performance, the candidate’s interpersonal skills, and any strengths/talents the candidate would bring to this residency program.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until February 28, 2020
- Letters of Acceptance will be mailed by April 3, 2020
Early submission is highly recommended.
For eligible candidates, in person or phone interviews with VA faculty will be scheduled in March 2020. You will be contacted regarding the specific date and time for interviews.
Letters of Acceptance will be emailed by April 3, 2020. The letter will include follow-up instructions regarding completion of the HR process, appointment with individual supervisors, and orientation.
Stacey Shaffer MSN, AGPC NP-BC
Director, Post-Graduate Primary Care NP Residency Program
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System