VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
The George E. Whalen VA Medical Center provides comprehensive pulmonary and critical care services to eligible Veterans in VISN 19. In addition to administering care in and supervising the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), we provide inpatient critical care and pulmonary consultative services and outpatient pulmonary consultations with ongoing care to those with chronic lung disease. Our services also include routine pulmonary procedures including pulmonary function testing, flexible bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), diagnostic and therapeutic thoracentesis and thoracostomy tube placement. Please refer to the Service Information section below for a complete list of routine pulmonary services provided at our facility.
We seek to honor our Veteran population by providing state-of-the-art care in pulmonary medicine with the aim to improve overall health and wellbeing.
- VA Pulmonary will be the benchmark of excellence and value in lung health care by providing exemplary services that are both patient-centered and evidence-based.
- Care will be delivered by engaged, collaborative teams in an integrated environment that supports learning, discovery and continuous improvement.
- We will emphasize prevention and management of lung disease and will provide state-of-the-art treatment to eligible Veterans.
- VA Pulmonary will contribute to the nation's well-being through lung health education, research and service to our eligible Veterans.
All Requests For Urgent Pulmonary Care Should Be Made By Primary Care
The Pulmonary Division offers a full range of services for eligible Veterans.
Our pulmonary providers offer comprehensive consultative services for evaluation of:
- Chronic obstructive lung diseases
- Interstitial lung Diseases
- Neuromuscular Disease (Multidisciplinary Clinic)
- Routine follow up care
VA Video ConnectAsk your primary physician about VA Video Connect for your next pulmonary appointment
Medical Intensive Care (MICU)
- Critical care services (primary and consultative)
- Procedures (intubation, central line placement, bronchoscopy and routine pulmonary procedures)
Inpatient Pulmonary Consultation
- Consultation for acute pulmonary diseases or assistance in managing chronic, decompensated pulmonary disease
- Procedures (bronchoscopy and routine pulmonary procedures)
- Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Thorascopy Tube
Watch: Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
George E. Wahlen VA Medical Center
- 801-582-1565 Ext. 4847
- 801-582-1565 Ext. 5269
Hours of Operation
Monday and Friday: 8 to 11:30 a.m.
Tuesday - Thursday: 7:45 to 11:30 a.m.