VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
Patient Travel Benefits
Qualifications for Beneficiary Travel Benefits
Benefit Description: If a Veteran meets the criteria below, they may be eligible for mileage reimbursement of special mode transportation in association with obtaining VA health care services.
Patient Travel Benefits is Going Paperless
Veterans Qualify if:
1. They have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30% or more, or
2. They are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
3. They receive VA Pension, or
4. Their income does not exceed the maximum annual VA Pension rate, or
5. They are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
Veterans Qualify for Special Mode Transportation (Ambulance, Wheelchair van, etc.) if:
1. Their medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
2. They meet one of the eligibility criteria in 1 through 4 above, and
3. The travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)
Myths about Travel Benefits:
Every Veteran qualifies for Travel Benefits. (No. Veterans need to qualify as listed above).
Veterans Do Not Have to COMPLETE first scheduled appointment (can not get benefit before completion of appointment).
Bus tokens or food vouchers are available. (This facility does not issue bus tokens or food vouchers).
Who can help with Veteran Questions?
Contact the Beneficiary Travel Office at (801)-582-1565 Ext. 1420 or (800) 613-4012 Ext. 1420.
- VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
- 801-582-1565 Ext. 1420
Hours of Operation
- 8:00am - 4:30pm