VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
Returning Service MembersTransitioning from Military to Civilian
Transition & Care Management (TCM) --formally OEF/OIF
To help Veterans and their families navigate the VA system in getting the benefits and services they have earned. We realize readjustment can be difficult, that’s why the TCM team is here to walk Veterans through the process and make things as easy as possible.
What to Expect:
• Comprehensive physical and referrals to any specialty care needed
• Case Management if needed resources for financial, work, school, housing and claims
• Readjustment Counseling: address problems with sleep, relationships, anger management and stress
The Post Deployment Integrated Care Clinic
This Specialty Intake Primary Care clinic is exclusively for newly returned combat Veterans to include National Guard and Reservists. We're here to serve any combat Veteran that served after September 11, 2001.
• If you served in a combat theatre after November 11, 1998 and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions you are eligible for 5 years of cost-free care for conditions potentially related to combat service.
• 5 years is computed from your date of separation on DD214
• If you were deployed to a theatre of combat, (even if you stayed in the Forward Operating Base) you are eligible
• Health care is provided regardless of your income
• Health care includes medications for deployment related issues
• Includes yearly physicals
• Includes full range of mental health counseling
• Women's clinic available with full range of services
• Dental benefits are only available for 6 months from your date of separation for those not seen by Dental while active
• Any services provided that are not related to your deployment (e.g. Sports injury, flu) may require a co-pay
Come see us on the Ground Level of the main hospital building (bldg 14) across from the Outpatient Pharmacy.
Or call at (801) 582-1565 x1465 for more information.
All extensions can be reached toll free at 1-800-613-4012 within Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada and Utah.
PTSD Walk-In Clinic:
For more information on the PTSD Walk-In Clinic or any other mental health services provided here at VA Salt Lake City Health Care System please call Dr. Allen, PTSD Clinical Team Coordinator at 801-582-1565, Ext. 2390
Special Eligibility and Coordination of Care for Combat Veterans Serving in Combat Theater After 11/11/1998- Returning Servicemembers (OEF/OIF/OND)
VA is ready to provide health care and other medical services to our nation's returning OEF/OIF/OND Servicemembers. The VA Salt Lake City Health Care System has a team ready to welcome OEF/OIF/OND Servicemembers and to help coordinate their care. For more information about the various programs available for recent returning service members, log on to the Returning Servicemembers web site.
Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations also have special eligibility for VA health care. Under the "Combat Veteran" authority VA provides cost-free health care services and nursing home care for conditions possibly related to military service and enrollment in Priority Group 6 or higher for 5 years from the date of discharge or release from active duty, unless eligible for enrollment in a higher priority group.
Combat Veterans who enroll with VA under this enhanced Combat Veteran authority will continue to be enrolled even after their enhanced eligibility period ends, although they may be shifted to Priority Group 7 or 8, depending on their income level, and required to make applicable copays. Additionally, for care not related to combat service, copays may be required depending on their financial assessment and other special eligibility factors.
NOTE: The 5-year enrollment period applicable to these Veterans begins on the discharge or separation date of the service member from active duty military service, or in the case of multiple call-ups, the most recent discharge date.